As I have mentioned many times over the last few FSP product reviews, FSP is mainly known as one of the world-wide leaders in power supplies. While they are continuing to grow in different areas of the PC component markets, I always think of FSP’s power supplies when someone mentions a quality unit.
Today, we are going to take a look at a power supply that has done well in the growing SFX marketplace, the FSP Dagger 600w SFX PSU.
Other Power Supply Reviews
- Corsair CX750M PSU Review
- Antec High Current Gamer 650watt PSU Review
- FSP Hydro PTM 750W PSU>
- Corsair AX750 Gold Rated Unboxing
FSP Dagger 600watt PSU Features
- SFX Compact Size: The Dagger series is compatible with most Mini-ITX and Micro ATX small form factor PCs. It is ideal for the living room PCs, and an alternative option for gamers.
- High Efficiency 80 PLUS Gold Certification: Dagger series are 80 PLUS Gold certified power supply units that guarantee to operate at a minimum of90% efficiency at 50% load of PSU rated power and as a result to reduce lots of electricity cost.
- VR Ready: By taking high efficient LLC topology, high level server grade PCB and DC to DC modules design, dagger series can give gamers an ultimate entertainment experience.
- Fully Modular Ribbon Cables: Fully-modular, flat ribbon cables provide easier installation. Its parallel wires, an ideal solution for applications with space constraint issues, enhance overall airflow performance cooler and fewer heat insides letting components product lives longer.
- 2X Power Density: Featured with high power density, twice higher than the one of an ATX PSU in same wattage.
- Compatible to PS2 case: Like all FSP SFX PSU, Dagger series also equipped with a bracket for easy fitting into standard PS2 ATX case.
|Dimensions (WxDxH)||63.5 mm x 125mm x 110 mm|
|Input Voltage||100-240 VAC ±10%|
|PFC||Active PFC (>0.9 typical)|
|Power Good Signal||100-500ms|
|Input Frequency Range||50Hz-60Hz|
|Protection||OCP, OVP, UVP, SCP, OPP, OTP, SIP, NLO|
|Output Power||600 watts|
|Certification||80 Plus Gold|
|Connections||1 x MB 24(20+4) Pin, 1 x 8(4+4) Pin EPS 12V, 2 x 8(6+2) Pin PCI-E, 5 x SATA, 2 x Molex, 1 x FDD|
FSP Dagger 600watt Unboxing
Let’s start by taking a closer look at the box. The front of the box has a picture of the Dagger 600w PSU, the FSP logo, stating that its VR ready and also that its 80 PLUS Gold which is great combination for a PSU this size. The right side of the box displays the different PSU connectors: 24 pin, 8 pin EPS, 2x 6+2 Pin PCIe, a SATA with Molex and a SATA with Floppy and Molex. The back of the box lists some of the features listed above, some specifications about voltages and output of each rail and lastly a pic showing some of the internal components. The left side of the box has an efficiency chart showing the PSU efficiency compared to the load.
Opening the cover of the box you are greeted with the FSP slogan, “Power Never Ends”, all of your cables wrapped up and secured neatly to the right and finally the PSU secured with a nice thick soft foam. The provided guide shows the specific pin-out of each connector, which can be useful if you want to make your own custom cables.
You will also find an accessories bag with PSU screws and an SFX to ATX mounting bracket. The inclusion of the bracket is a great addition that allows you to insert this SFX power supply into almost any build.
The cables come bundled in two bunches, one is the PSU power cable and the other is all of the PSU cables responsible for providing power to all your PC components.
A Closer Look at the PSU
Next we will take a closer look at the PSU and cables. Starting at the back of the PSU you have nice unique mesh design to be able to exhaust any heat out of, the power supply plug connector and the on/off switch.
At the top of the PSU you have more honeycomb mesh ventilation covering the 80mm PSU fan.
On the bottom you have your power rail specifications.
On the front you have the area where you plug in any of the modular cables that you need for your build. With the “Power Never Ends” logo displayed once again.
The PSU cables provided are flat cables which will allow them to fit in small cases and not be bulky. Remember that since this is an SFX PSU, the cable lengths are shorter. If you are going to use this PSU in an MATX or ATX case you may need to use cable extensions.
Test System, Installation and Performance
The system being used with this PSU is my test bench setup. It consists of the following parts:
- CPU: Intel 8600K
- Motherboard: SUPERO (Super Micro) C9Z390-CG-IW (Z390 ITX)
- Memory: Gskill Flare X 2×8 GB 3200 Mhz
- GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Mini ITX
- CPU Cooler: Silverstone Argon AR11
- PSU: FSP Dagger 600W SFX
Installing the PSU was very easy. FSP provides you with mounting screws and a bracket for cases that need ATX mounting. The cables that are provided with the PSU as mentioned previously are flat to assist with installing them in compact ITX case and black to fit the aesthetics of almost any build, even though many ITX cases don’t have windows.
The performance of the Dagger 600w has been great. Its 600W capacity has had no issues providing power to my 8600K and RTX 2070 GPU. One aspect that I really appreciate is that FSP uses great Japanese Capacitors and high-quality internal components in there power supplies. My last SFX PSU had electricity and coil whine anytime it was plugged into power. The Dagger is completely silent, even under load I can’t hear it over the sound of my RTX 2070 or Silverstone Argon AR 11.
FSP Dagger 600W SFX PSU
- Amazing 5 year warranty
- Silent 80mm Fan
- 80 PLUS Gold efficiency
- Flat Black Cables
- Ultra Compact size
- 100% Japanese Capacitors for efficiency and life expectancy
The performance of the Dagger 600w has been great. Its 600W capacity has had not issues providing power to my 8600K and RTX 2070 GPU. One aspect that I really appreciate is that FSP uses great Japanese Capacitors and high quality internal components in there power supplies.